For missed pick ups, please contact Republic Services at 913-281-4343.
The City of Prairie Village has contracted with Republic Services to provide weekly curbside collection of recyclable materials, as well as solid waste and yard waste, for most residential properties in the City. In some areas, homes associations provide this service (Corinth Downs, Countryside East, Corinth Place Villas, Village Park, Paddock Court and Town and Country). If you live in one of these neighborhoods, you should contact your homes association regarding your service.
For a list of recycling links, visit RecycleSpot.
Solid Waste/Yard Waste/Recycling Pickup Schedule: You can use the map to identify the collection day for your home.
Should one of these holidays fall on or before your normal pickup day, your solid waste, recyclables, and yard waste will be collected one day later that week.
Holidays that trash will not be picked up on include: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
Download the calendar [PDF]
What can I recycle?
Residents may recycle:
- #1 thru #7 plastic containers (must be emptied, rinsed, and have caps removed.)
- Cartons - please remove caps and straws
- Newspaper, office paper, magazines, and junk mail
- Aluminum/steel cans (food & beverage cans only; washed and dried, whole or crushed)
- Corrugated cardboard, chipboard, and carrier stock
- Complete list of acceptable materials [Outside Website]
How to prepare items for curbside recycling:
- Recycling should be placed loosely inside of the cart. It should not be bagged.
- Recycling should be at the curb by 7:00 a.m. on your collection day.
- Cut cardboard in 2' x 2' pieces before setting them at the curb for pickup
Recycling is unlimited. Extra recyclables may be placed in a container labeled with the word "recycling" or the universal symbol for recycling (chasing arrows)
What cannot be recycled?
- Wet newspapers
- Glass - Use the Purple Ripple Glass Bins at Corinth and Prairie Village Shops
- Plastic bags
How can I get a recycling cart?
One recycling cart is provided for each home (blue container with light blue lid). You may place your extra recyclables in your old recycling bin, or any other container labeled with the word "recycling" or the universal symbol for recycling (the chasing arrows). If you do not have a recycling cart, contact City Hall at 913-381-6464.
Should my recyclables be placed somewhere special?
Normal collection points for recyclables are within one foot of curb line. All materials to be collected are to be placed in the appropriate containers. Please make sure the arrows on your recycling cart are pointing toward the street.
Residents and businesses can call ForeRunner Recycling at (816) 807-5454 or (877) 478-6611. Forerunner recycling will collect computers within 72 hours. Collected computers will be broken down to the circuit board level and as many materials as possible are refurbished. Secure data on recycled computers will be destroyed.
For more information on ForeRunner Recycling please go to ForeRunner Recycling Website.