Flood Safety Awareness Week - March 6-10
Post Date:03/02/2017 10:16 AM
March 6-10 has been proclaimed as FLOOD SAFETY AWARENESS WEEK in the State of Kansas. Here are some tips on how to protect your life and property.
FLOOD SAFETY TIPS
- Do not walk through flowing water. Six inches of moving water is enough to knock you off your feet.
- Do not drive through a flooded area. Two feet of water will carry away most cars. One foot of water can displace 1,500 pounds of weight. A that car weighs less than 1,500 pounds could float in a foot of water.
- Stay away from downed power lines and also electrical lines in your own home. Electrical current can travel through water.
- Watch for animals and snakes. Small animals that have been flooded out of their homes may seek shelter in your home.
- Watch your step. Wet or muddy steps can be slippery.
- Use a flashlight to check for gas leaks. Soapy water on gas lines will reveal leaks as soap bubbles form. Don’t use candles or smoke until you are certain there are no gas leaks.